Forum > General Corrado chat > Relocating battery

This topic counts 1 page 1
skm little rado bloke skm little rado bloke from United Kingdom (Heart Of England) posted @ 5 May 2008 15:58:24
Database Noobie

13 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 20VT

I need to relocate my battery to the boot/trunk in order to fit a charge cooler, has anyone out there done this mod? & if so how? & what will I need to do it?.

Cralstc Cralstc from United Arab Emirates (Dubai) posted @ 12 May 2008 13:14:20
Database Noobie

2 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado R32

Quoted from a fellow member on the Corrado Forum. After asking him I did the same to make room for the engine.

I relocated my battery to the boot. Quite a simple job and not that pricey. Basically picked up some really thick flexible welding cable from ebay (4 metres if i remember correctly), made an MDF box (with hinged lid and breather hole) to hold the battery securely and fastened that to the boot floor with some metal brackets.

There is a 200amp circuit breaker attached to the box to isolate the supply if the cable shorts on the body. The cable is routed inside the car, under the rear seats and down under the handbrake etc, then up under the dash to behind the glovebox. There was already a hole in the firewall here, so i routed it through there.

This then goes directly to the starter motor. From here I hooked up another wire (red) to just below and behind the washer bottle where there is a distribution point / box. I then use this to tap of the 12v supply to the ancillary parts (all the wires that used to go directly to the battery positive terminal).

The battery itself is earthed in the boot. I did this by drilling a whole in the inside panel (below and to the right of the fuel filler cap). and bolting the negative battery cable to this point (best to file of some of the interior paint at this point to get a good earth)

Hope it helps.

Craig.

skm little rado bloke skm little rado bloke from United Kingdom (Heart Of England) posted @ 3 June 2008 16:59:51
Database Noobie

13 Topic posts
Private message

1992 Corrado 20VT

Nice one Craig & thanks, Iv now sorted the prob anyway, I did it slightly differantly than yourself, I purchased a nice alloy cradle & stainless cover some quick release terminals, 4mtr red & 4mtr black flexi battery lead bolted the cradle to the boot floor just to the rear of the left side rear seat ran both cables down the left hand side under the carpet & against the inner cill as there are already cable clips there holding an existing loom, connecting an earth to the left side rear seat belt anchor on route going though the bulkhead as have you behind the glove box, along the inner frame under the header tank (where it used to be) to an isolater where the O/E washer bottle again used to be, all that were connected to the battery are now connected here & to the other side of the isolater go to the starter. All the earth connections now fix to the body as original & the earth running from the battery fixes here also. Ill put some pics in show case when I got a sec. Cheers, Steve.

This topic counts 1 page 1